cdc air sussension

• Hi everyone:

I still have not received my touareg. They are saying that there was a short shipment on the transmissions for the v6 tdi. I think that I am here for November.

anyways

Whats your opinion on the cdc air suspension? Is it worth the money? I am not really interested in being able to change the height of the touareg. its a fun/ safe feature that may save under the touareg.

What about ride quality on rough roads? I am more interested on if it makes a difference in ride quality. I want a very comfortable ride but not a bouncing vehicle.

thanks

• Hi,

[...]Whats your opinion on the cdc air suspension? Is it worth the money? I am not really interested in being able to change the height of the touareg. its a fun/ safe feature that may save under the touareg.

What about ride quality on rough roads? I am more interested on if it makes a difference in ride quality. I want a very comfortable ride but not a bouncing vehicle.

I'm very enthusastic with the air suspension. I use it nearly every day, allways when leaving normal roads to offraod terrain. In automatic status, the chassis is elevated automatically, so you don't have to care about your undercoat :D
    Btw, it saves fuel...
    So, if you don't have to care about the $, take it! :top:

Grüße,

Uli

Was kann ich tun um Antworten erfolgreich zu unterbinden?
    Nachdem ich die Suche erfolgreich ignoriert habe, erstelle ich das gleiche Thema in mehreren Unterforen, benutze einen aussagekräftigen Titel wie "Hilfe", am Besten noch mit mehreren Ausrufezeichen, und veröffentliche einen Fließtext aus Kleinbuchstaben ohne Punkt und Komma, damit auch der letzte hilfsbereite Nutzer resigniert.

• Hi,

it the air suspension trouble free? Does it give any problems. Is it easy to find repair parts?

Well, I have got the second Touareg now and I did't have any problems yet with air suspension. :top:

Grüße,

Uli

Nachdem ich die Suche erfolgreich ignoriert habe, erstelle ich das gleiche Thema in mehreren Unterforen, benutze einen aussagekräftigen Titel wie "Hilfe", am Besten noch mit mehreren Ausrufezeichen, und veröffentliche einen Fließtext aus Kleinbuchstaben ohne Punkt und Komma, damit auch der letzte hilfsbereite Nutzer resigniert.

• how does the air suspension work. I understand about the ride height, but what about the cdc part?

When in sport mode, its like having firm shocks, when in comfort mode, its like having soft shocks.

so when you are in auto mode, does it automatically change from very firm to very soft, or there are multi levels for it to choose from depending on the road? This is what I do not understand.

is it like black and white or does it have a grey area? do you feel an abrupt change between the changes or you just feel the ride quality is always good?

The reason that I am asking is because no dealers in my area have one for me to try.

Please if you can, many details are appreciated.

• Hi,

just give me a moment of sleep:D . Tomorrow I will answer your question...:winken:

Grüße,

Uli

• Hi boutrosa,

Hope all is well after the hurricane? Or did it not impact you much?

When in sport mode, its like having firm shocks, when in comfort mode, its like having soft shocks.

Essentially yes

so when you are in auto mode, does it automatically change from very firm to very soft, or there are multi levels for it to choose from depending on the road?

The way I understand it is as follows: The sport- mode gives you a firmer ride in general while the comfort mode is generally softer. The auto- mode switches between sport- and comfort mode depending on your driving style, if you cruise along the freeway, the suspension gets softer, if you fly down a curvy road, it gets firmer. But even in comfort mode, it will add some more support if you take a corner quickly or have to swerve quickly. All is based on your driving style, not on the road conditions. You can only chose between sport and comfort, the 3rd option, Auto, chooses between the 2 automatically

is it like black and white or does it have a grey area? do you feel an abrupt change between the changes or you just feel the ride quality is always good?

Your choices are only black and white but I believe the electronic behind the scenes fine- tunes the whole thing all the time, so what you are actually selecting is the overall characteristic, not a certain ‘value’. I can’t say I feel an abrupt change when going from sport to comfort or vice versa, it is a very subtle but eventually noticeable change.

Regards

Frank

• Hi,

[...]The way I understand it is as follows: The sport- mode gives you a firmer ride in general while the comfort mode is generally softer. The auto- mode switches between sport- and comfort mode depending on your driving style, if you cruise along the freeway, the suspension gets softer, if you fly down a curvy road, it gets firmer. But even in comfort mode, it will add some more support if you take a corner quickly or have to swerve quickly. All is based on your driving style, not on the road conditions. You can only chose between sport and comfort, the 3rd option, Auto, chooses between the 2 automatically
    Your choices are only black and white but I believe the electronic behind the scenes fine- tunes the whole thing all the time, so what you are actually selecting is the overall characteristic, not a certain ‘value’. I can’t say I feel an abrupt change when going from sport to comfort or vice versa, it is a very subtle but eventually noticeable change.

Thanks Frank! I don't have to write much more information...:-)
    I use the the auto mode in combination with the high-chassis-level, then the auto mode elevates the chassis depending on your speed.
    Offroad-level between 0-70 km/h (Frank, if you could translate to miles?:D )
    medium/normal-level between 70-150km/h
    sport-level 150-to the end :D

'cause of the speed limits you will have, this usage of the air suspension is probably not good for you...:D

Grüße,

Uli

• the hurricane was not that bad. We had a lot of wind and rain. The worse happened in the middle of the nights so many people did not even notice it. I feel bad for the grand cayman and Jamaica. They hade it worse than we did.

• we do not have speed limits. the major problem are bad roads, mainly patched up with potholes or completely unpaved rocky roads. We use the off road capabilities on a daily basis here sometimes just to avoid traffic. Driving to the beach or the the neighboring country, we have good roads that we can drive fast on. but the capital is very congested. I live at a top oF a mountain and the road repairs are basically done by us. The road is very steep and when wet you will not make it home without 3wd.

I was under the impression that the auto mode had a variable suspension that adjusted according to the road conditions.

So from the descriptions that I have given you of the roads, Is the air suspension better for me?

• You can’t really go wrong with the air suspension. It can do everything the conventional suspension can do and some more things the steel suspension can’t do. The vast majority drive their Touareg on roads in almost perfect condition and they drive off- road as a hobby….if you need the off- road capabilities to get home on an almost daily basis, you should go for Air Suspension and you should get the rear differential lock, too.

Regards

Frank

• For me the skid plates are more important that the rear diff. I have owned several 4wds with the rear locking option, I have never been in a situation that it was necessary to have.

anyways here is how I ordered the touareg finally.

silver leaf with pure beige cricket interior wood trim v6tdi automatic

all the exterior chrome including the mufflers
    air suspension with regular chassis
    xenon lights
    tinted glass
    compass
    memory seats, with steering and mirrors
    full size spare wheel
    17 inch wheels
    premium audio (dynaudio not available for us)

Do all touaregs come with the tpms now,
    I did not see it in the option sheet.

I dropped the latte interior because I cannot find the accurate picture and the pure biege looks really classy.

• It depends…it is not a factory standard but it can be standard in certain markets. Does your Touareg come from the US or European market, perhaps France? Whatever is standard in those markets would be standard for you, too.

Regards

Frank

• I know that VW here is part of VW Latin America

I also know that our vehicles are more European spec than US. Examples. the 2.5 tdi and the v6 tdi are available here and not the US. We do not have the v10 as an option. we do have the little cabinet on top of the stereo and I think (not sure) that the ipod cable is standard for us.